Terraserver-usa/Colegrove

Wed Feb 9 23:43:48 EST 2005

In a message dated 2/7/2005 9:44:20 PM Eastern Standard Time,
nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org writes:
RF Smith:
Have you ever heard the cut east of Coal Grove referred to as "Wyatt's
Monument"  ?
                                                                     Harry
Bundy

Harry Bundy
 Can't say I remember it being referred to as "Wyatt's Monument" but I do
remember how it came into being. As I recall when they made the cut for the new
Highway the N&W wanted them to complete it to the tracks but I think the State
Contractors position was that the big stone mass remaining was all or impart
on the RR RofW and they wanted the N&W to pay for its removal.Dont know what
part Wyatt had in this. But the deal didn't go down. At this location the
earthen rock mass in the slope to the river was very unstable and there was almost
an ongoing break down of the track structure particularly on the East bound.
Slow Orders on it about half the time Had the " Monument" been removed maybe the
track could been lined over toward the high way for some relief from the
breakdown which was a major M&W expense on the Division
By All of us In the CT Dept,the "Monument" was known by all simply as "The
Big Rock"
R F Smith