VMT gift shop

Fri Feb 4 01:04:47 EST 2005

Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 18:32:13 -0500
Subject:  Subject: Re: Source for O. W. Link Poster
Prints?

I heard from a Link Museum worker at the Waynesboro
event that the Roanoke Chapter was going to close
their giftshop at VMT. Has anyone else heard this?

Ken Moss
Charlottesville, VA

February 4, 2005

Hello, Ken:

I've heard the same, but no further details.  Perhaps
someone in Roanoke closer to the situation will add
more insights.

I expect that there will continue to be a gift shop at
the VMT since it is a revenue source, but it could
change the selection of material that is available.
My observation is that VMT is seeking to expand its
support base by increasing emphasis on its highway
vehicle collection.  An advantage is probably that
auto enthusiasts are more plentiful than railfans
these days and often have deeper pockets.  Also, the
former freight station can house vehicles with few
major improvements.  In contrast, rail equipment
preservation is more expensive because shelters have
to be built, or cosmetic restoration becomes a
recurring expense if shelters are not constructed.

It will be interesting to continue to watch the
evolution of the VMT and its focus.  The gift shop
changes will probably be a barometer of what's in
store.

GN&GM,

Frank

=====