Railroad firing ...and not the locomotive kind.

Thu Feb 3 23:38:52 EST 2005

Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 19:46:55 EST
Subject:  A.C. Needles in His Long Johns

Over a half-century ago, my father told me an amusing
story about N&W President Arthur Cushman Needles.  I'd
like to know if some other "Lister" might have more
details.

As the story goes, one of the Roanoke station switcher
crews (and there was a crew at both ends of the
station in the old days ! ) was one night digging out
some private cars from the private car track.  Mr.
Needles' car had to be put in position to be tacked on
the rear end of a passenger train.  And of course, no
one on the crew had any idea that El Presidente was
sleeping aboard his car.

Due to some mis-judgment, the engine's coupling was in
no wise gentle.  Indeed, it was rather harsh.

Mr. Needles was rudely awakened from his sound sleep
sleep.  He went to the observation platform of the
coach, to which end the switch engine was coupled,
leaned over the railing in his long-john underwear,
and shook his fist at the engineman in the cab.

"What's your name, Engineer?" demanded Mr. Needles in
an irritated voice.

The engineman hung out his window and responded
"Jones" (or whatever his name was.)

"Well, Jones," shouted an angry Mr. Needles.  "You're
fired !   Go home ! "

And Jones got off the engine and went home.

The next morning orders were issued to "Call up Jones
and put him back to work."

Have others heard this story?  I'd love to know the
details.

abram burnette

February 4, 2005

Hello, Abram:

I don't know the details of that occurrence.  However,
I vaguely recall a story about a Southern Railway
conductor who was fired and rehired several times on a
single passenger run between Washington and Monroe.  I
can check with a historian who has more details if
you'd like details about that memorable occasion.

73,

Frank

=====
Dr. Frank R. Scheer, Curator