Train order forks--- trian watching lesson.

Tue Jan 25 09:28:39 EST 2005

A good story and a lesson for us train watchers---- don't stand too close.
Charlie Long
Lynchburg, VA

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, January 24, 2005 3:35 AM
To: nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org
Subject: Re: Train order forks

Frank

One night in the mid-70's I was working a temporary block job west of
Columbus on the old PRR Bradford line when an eastbound came into town. I
dutifully handed the Clearance Card to the head end and waited for the rear
of the train. I saw the conductor waving his lantern indicating to get away
from the train. I took it as a signal that he didn't want to stick his head
out the caboose window and snag the order and stubbornly held my ground. He
snagged the order and I turned in time to see a dragging band a few cars
ahead of the cabin. I can still recall with a shudder that ting, ting,
zinging sound as the broken band danced on the ROW. Just another day when I
had an angel on my shoulder!

Jim Kehn