N&W F units

Tue Dec 28 00:06:17 EST 2004

Brad and Skip - in four years on the old Wabash after the merger I ran them a lot, both Es and Fs.

I liked them; setting out and picking up wasn't as good as a geep, but they did put the two brakes up front where they were handy.  And you didn't do much settin' and pickin' with the Es . . .

We didn't put them on the local freights.

EdK
  Sent: Saturday, December 25, 2004 1:09 PM
  Subject: Re: N&W F units

  Brad,

      The visability was surprisingly good forward since you sit almost on top of the coupler....I did have to raise the cab seat up as high as it would go and still stood up a lot.  Backing up was a problem.  I was fortunate that I only had to back up a couple times.  I really liked the novelty of it but would not like to operate one every day.

  Skip Salmon
  --
  Skip and Judi Salmon
  3721 Buckingham Drive

    Skip, tell me what is was like to operate a "covered wagon"?  That is one of my favorite diesels next to a GG1.  I heard visiblity was no good doing a backup move.  Brad Clauser