D8-32B GE info request

Sun Dec 12 10:42:29 EST 2004

The D8-32B (or B32-8) was built as a 12 cylinder fuel economy version of the Dash 8-40B. It has a horsepower rating of 3,200 hp. It is also shorter that the B40-8, by 2'-9", with the difference being that there are two less engine compartment doors (12 cyl. vs. 16 cyl.). Fuel capacity is 3,100 gal. They have tall snow plows on both ends and are designed for bi-directional control, with the long hood being forward. The horn was originally a Nathan K5LA-R24.

There were 45 units built, #3522-3566, all were bought by NS and assigned to Southern, originally for intermodal service. For an extended period of time, a pair of B32-8's were assigned to the Westmoreland Dump Train, based in Andover, VA. They are GE's version of the GP59. All of the B32-8's were built between Oct. & Dec. 1989.

All of them should still be in service. They were delivered with two firecracker antennas, mounted on the cab roof. One has been repainted into Horsehead, #3555. Two were rebuilt with roof top air conditioners, #3565 and 3566 with the antenna being moved to the electrical compartment roof, just in front of the engine compartment.

Hope this helps.

Russ Goodwin
Buford, GA