1920 Rural Retreat Wreck Photos/ATC

Fri Nov 19 16:18:02 EST 2004

Since my reply of Nov. 16 using the term Automatic Train Stop, there have
been other replies and comments using the term Automatic Train Control, so I
hope these new comments will clarify matters.

Automatic Train Control is sometimes used loosely as a general term to
include Automatic Train Stop, but there is a specific distinction.

ATC imposes speed limitations on a train, and will initiate a brake
application if the train exceeds the mandated speed.  For example the ATC
placed in service on the Hagerstown District of the N&W's Shenandoah
Division in November 1924 enforced three speeds depending on conditions
(this was later changed to two speeds to be compatible with the ATC that was
placed into service on the Roanoke District of the Shenandoah Division in
December 1926).  The N&W ATC system also included cab signals.

Automatic Train Stop, by contrast, only functions to apply the brakes if a
train's engineer fails to acknowledge a restricting signal by operating an
acknowledging mechanism in the locomotive cab.  There is no speed governing.

These systems can either be continuous or intermittent.

The N&W Shenandoah Division ATC was continuous, meaning that cab signal
indications and speed enforcement could occur at any point, even between the
fixed wayside signals.  This was accomplished by coils on the locomotive
that picked up codes in the rails that corresponded to the mandated speeds.

Other systems were intermittent, meaning that a restricting condition could
be conveyed to the engineer only at certain fixed locations such as at
wayside signals by means of something such as an inductor on the ends of the
ties that would interact with a coil on the locomotive.  One Mail List
comment on this subject mentioned home signals as an example of such a
location, but distant signals and intermediate signals would have to be
included among fixed locations where restrictions are conveyed to the
engineer under the intermittent system.

So, when I referred to Automatic Train Stop on the ACL between Petersburg
and Richmond, used by the N&W's "Cannonball", I was calling on my
recollection that it was an intermittent system, but I may have assumed too
much when I called it an Automatic Train Stop system.  Does anyone know for
certain whether it was/is intermittent or continuous and whether it was/is
ATC or ATS?

PS  For more details on the N&W ATC see "Nuggets from the Archives" and the
included references in the Nov/Dec 2002 issue of  THE ARROW.

Gordon Hamilton