Partners desks at stations

Mon Nov 15 03:24:00 EST 2004

Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 21:59:15 -0500
Subject: Re: Partners desks at stations

Frank,

The NWHS archives has N & W Dwg. D21247, dated
9/23/20, showing a version of what the drawing terms a
double desk, but what I also have heard referred to
as a partners' desk.  The desk in the drawing has
three drawers on each side of the leg space vs. two in
the picture.  Also, the leg style is different,
but both the drawing and the picture show two pencil
drawers just above the upper corners of the leg space.

The drawing has a dimension table to cover four
variations.  The width x length dimension vary from 4'
- 0" x 5' - 0" to 4' - 6" x 7' - 0".  One
version has a paneled top with "chase" leather, and
one version has a solid top.  One interesting note
reads, "Inkwell stand furnished when specified."

These desk were shop-made and used in virtually all
offices of all departments over virtually the entire N
& W.  Lower ranked employees shared a double desk, but
officials had one to themselves.  A secretary would
occupy the opposite side when taking dictation.

To order a copy of the drawing, call the Commissary
number and request the drawing by number.  The member
price should be $2.00 plus shipping.

Reportedly there are several of these desks in private
hands.  I am aware of one previously used by the
Foreman of the Car Departmen, Roanoke Shops
that was recently acquired from a former NS official
in Roanoke by a bed and breakfast establishment in
Appomattox.

Gordon Hamilton

November 15, 2004

Good morning, Gordon:

I appreciate the information about the N&W drawing.
I'll order one the next time I buy something from The
Commissary.  In the event you or others learn about
one that is available but do not want to pursue it for
yourself, please let me know at the address below.
I'd like to consider buying it for the Boyce station
after I figure out a source of funds for pressure
washing, priming, and painting the standing-seam metal
roof.

By the way, Gordon, are there drawings for other N&W
office or station furnishings, such as forms cabinets,
shelves for record rooms, standing desks for express,
baggage, and freight rooms, or tariff cases?  If so,
I'd appreciate those drawing numbers so I can buy them
for future reference.

Best wishes and thanks again for the helpful reply,

=====
Dr. Frank R. Scheer, Curator
Railway Mail Service Library, Inc.
f_scheer at yahoo.com