Passenger service on the Durham District

Mon Nov 15 00:10:58 EST 2004

Refering to operating timetable in the NWHS archives, Norfolk Division timetable No. 11 effective April 28, 1957, shows mixed train service between Lynchburg and Durham provided by First Class trains Nos. 71 and 72.  Timetable No. 12 effective January 1, 1958, shows Nos. 71 and 72 as Fourth Class trains, i.e., no longer providing mixed train service.  Because there was no supplement pasted in Timetable No. 11 to indicate any changes to it, it appears that the mixed train service was terminated just before Timetable No. 12 was effective, in other words, at the end of 1957.

Gordon Hamilton