N&W Fs

Thu Nov 11 19:24:29 EST 2004

The N&W inherited 103 F-7A's and 2 F-7B's from the Wabash in 1964. All including the F-7B's were retired by 1969 except for 15 units. The last of these was not retired until as 1979.  The majority of those remaining in service into the 70's were Canadian built by GMD and ran between Windsor, Ont and Ft.Erie where they crossed into Buffalo, NY (Bison Yd.).  Not all were repainted (actually the majority) into N&W schemes.  Those that were all had the post merger half moon heralds.  Some were painted black, some were Wabash blue, and some were Wabash blue with a Wabash gray upper band.  Neither of the F-7B's made it into N&W paint.  Another interesting note is that 10 units were leased to the Central RR of New Jersey where they remained in service until their retirement.   After Dad was transferred to NYC in 1966 and we were living in NJ, I can well remember seeing N&W F-units on the CNJ.  When living in Ohio Dad and I went to Buffalo and Windsor on several occasions to see the Canadian units.(I got a nice ride in 3725 around Bison Yd on one occasion).  Units would also occasionally show up in Brewster, Oh on their way to the final resting ground at a scrap metal dealer.

Ed Painter;  now Russellville, Arkansas (Narrows, VA)