Did N&W Run over VGN During USRA Era?

Wed Nov 3 09:32:52 EST 2004

Ron,

Actually, the railroads weren't returned to their stockholder owners until
March 1, 1920. Hence, the USRA era wasn't over in 1919.

The USRA era didn't begin (President Wilson assumed control of the railroads
effective noon, December 28, 1917) until the "Great War" was in its final
stages, ending November 11, 1918 (the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of
the eleventh month).

Why the delay in the return of the railroads to private ownership? Many
authors/historians who have researched the subject (myself included) believe
the demands of the War itself, the pitiful condition of the physical plants
of the roads prior to the US entry (on April 6, 1917) and the Federal
ownership/management so weakened the financial positions of the railroads
that some actually fought a return to private ownership. Indeed, the
situation in some cases was so desperate that the Transportation Act of 1920
(authorizing return of the railroads to private ownership) actually
guaranteed the profitability of the railroads for the first six months after
the return to private control.

Before the post-War economy of the US righted itself in the early 1920s, the
times were highly dicey for the railroads.

I just provide the above as background music for your well-articulated
arguments below.

Best regards,

Dave Lambert