"Virginia-Carolina Branch" in 1918

Tue Oct 19 23:20:56 EDT 2004

To the "Worshipful Masters" of Timetable Trivia,

With great reverence and awesome trepidation do I speculate on the speculations of savvy sages........however, I believe that Bard Bundy hath shown near-divine wisdom with his perceptive presupposition of what the differences might be between N&W and V-C, as regards to timetable abbreviations.

WHEREFORE; the "GC" continues through Timetable #11 of July 13,1919, suggesting that it is most probably not a typo, and,

WHEREFORE; in Timetable #13 of May 30, 1920 (#12 having been omitted), the "GC" is not used, BUT is replaced by an "X",

THEREFORE; it appears that the postulation of the Pre-eminent Mr. Bundy was, (as we say in these here parts), a dead ringer!

UNFORTUNATELY; this begs another question.  Although this may explain the grade crossings at Callahan Crossing, indeed, with the White Top Ry., and at Laureldale with the Laurel Ry., then,

HOWCOME; two grade crossings at Damascus with the Laurel Ry. are not indicated by any "letter abbreviations", but mentioned only in the "Special Instructions"?  Perhaps because Yard Limit rules were in effect "approaching Damascus".

Submitted by your humble servant and admirer,

"YARD BRAKEMAN" (YD BKM)

P.S.  I believe that GCT lies a few miles, as the crow flies, to the northeast.