"Virginia-Carolina Branch" in 1918

Tue Oct 19 09:03:29 EDT 2004

Oh Abe, Son of "Spike" (SOS)--
It's taken a great deal of deducing.  My guess may not be  correct.
Consider this:

1-  Where the "G" appears, it's followed by "C".
2-   N&W, et al., used "C" to designate coaling  stations.
3-  Would the Virginia-Carolina have had coaling stations only 12 mi.  apart ?
4-   Although shown in the Radford Div. Time Table, I don't  believe N&W had
      taken ownership of the V-C by that  date.
5-   Different strokes for different folks; N&W showed RR  crossings at grade
by
      the alpha "X".  Maybe the V-C used  "GC".

I am not familiar with the route of the White Top RR, but perhaps the  "GC"
designates a crossing with that railroad.  Or maybe it was  the Grand Central
Terminal.
                                                          Harry Bundy