Mallet Engines on the Saltville Branch - When?

Mon Oct 18 17:00:33 EDT 2004

The Saltville Branch was/is between Glade Spring, VA and Saltville, VA.  It
was 9.5 miles in length and had stations listed at Litz, Plasterco, and
Saltville.  It left the Bristol-Walton mainline (the Pulaski District of the
Radford Division of the N&W) at MP-346.6 (app. 28 miles east of Bristol);
Glade Spring, VA.

The North Carolina Branch of the N&W left the Radford Division's Pulaski
District at Dora Jct (just East of Pulaski, VA) at MP-311.1 (app. 91 miles
east of Bristol).  The North Carolina Branch went ~52 miles to Galax, VA
with many branches (over the years all were abandoned except the line to the
Textile Mill at Fries, VA; prior to the North Carolina Branch as a whole
being abandoned in the 1970's).  Most of the branches went to Iron Ore mines
long since abandoned.

Ed Painter from Narrows, VA (living in Chattanooga, TN and moving to
Russellville, Arkansas this week)