North Carolina Branch

Wed Oct 13 21:45:58 EDT 2004

Yep Bob, One MORE answer!!

Their was a wye in Galax, and yes the "Y" class locomotives made their way
down the North Carolina branch many times.

Don't forget the Iron Ore Mines near Galax, the lead and zinc mines in
Ivanhoe and Austinville, the power of the 2-8-8-2's was needed and the line
was upgraded in the 1930's for the heaviest locomotives on the Norfolk and
Western, at that time, Y5's

Their was never a wye at Fries jct. Their was a short runaround track that
would hold a couple of cars at Fries Jct.

To the best of my knowledge, their NEVER was any turning facilities in
Fries, 5 miles from Fries Jct. Trains ether backed in, or backed out of
Fries.

I have seen photos of Y5's in Ivanhoe

The 2-8-8-2 in Munsey Webb's book is a Z1-b

I don't know about turning facilities in Austinville and Ivanhoe, I would
ASSUME their was in Ivanhoe, because their was daily trains to both
Austinville and Ivanhoe, into the 1970's and If I recall correctly, 6-axle
units where permitted to Ivanhoe, The rail on the North Carolina branch was
130# rail, but their was tight clearances in the curved Chestnut Creek
Tunnel near Gambetta, Between Fries Jct, and Galax.

Andy Jennings

Sent: Wednesday, October 13, 2004 9:04 AM
Subject: Re: Mallet Engines on the Saltville Branch - When?