Mallet Engines on the Saltville Branch - When?

Wed Oct 13 00:02:17 EDT 2004

Bob - he Y-6s didn't exist in 1934, but the Y2as, Y3s, Y3as, Y4s and Y5s did (only the Y1s, of all the Ys, were gone by then).

And the Galax or North Carolina Branch is a different Branch from the Saltville Branch.  If Y6s did operat on the NC Branch, it wasn't a regular thing.

EdKing
  Sent: Tuesday, October 12, 2004 8:46 AM
  Subject: Re: Mallet Engines on the Saltville Branch - When?

  Well as the Y-class locomotives didn't exist in 1934 that would make sense. I think the Y's were built in the 1940's up until I THINK the last Y6 was built in 1952 (? someone correct me if I am wrong on when the last ones were built).

  However, as I posted in a previous post, I have a photo of a Y6 in Galax, VA so am sure they ran the saltville branch as well.

  Bob Welsh
    Sent: Monday, October 11, 2004 12:49 AM

    My 1934 Radford Division lists tonnage ratings on the Saltville Branch for Z-1a and Z-1b as well as M or W.

    No "Y" ratings.

    EdKing