Hagerstown District signals

Thu Sep 30 10:11:14 EDT 2004

September 30, 2004

Hello, all:

This thread on the evolution from semaphore to
position light (PL) to color position light (CPL)
signals has been interesting.  I am wondering if the
installation of PL signals on the Hagerstown District
was much earlier than the conversion elsewhere on the
system.  The reason I suggest this is that photo
ns383.jpg in the N&W VPI collection at Boyce is
understood to be a 1921 picture.  By this time, the
block limit signals on the train order mast have been
removed.

If anyone can't find the photo I'm referring to
easily, please send me a message at f_scheer at yahoo.com
and I'll attach it.  All information is welcome, since
I will be developing an informational display at Boyce
about signaling.  By the way, if anyone wants to help
with restoration of a CPL signal, train order signal,
or crossing flasher to be erected behind Boyce
station, I'd welcome hearing from you.

Best wishes,

Frank

=====