J's with aux water tender?

Thu Sep 30 09:13:02 EDT 2004

Just as an additional note, all fourteen Js had the tenders modified
after the arrival of leased diesels to accept auxilliary tanks, it
would be conceivable that they could have been used in passenger
service as they continued to see passenger service when traffic levels
were high, or the leased diesels had mechanical problems. I've never
seen any evidence of that use of course,  nor any reason to do so. The
water plugs were strategically placed to refill the tanks during
station stops (for the most part). I would imagine the economy of the
extra coal consumed vs. the additional weight vs schedule probably
readily determined the lack of need.

Ken Miller