J's with aux water tender?

Sat Sep 25 18:45:49 EDT 2004

First let me commend, compliment and praise those persons involved
with the production of the society's magazine.  Each time I receive
my copy I thoroughly enjoy reading and learning from it.  Keep up the
good work!

Now to my question---

In the latest issue of THE ARROW in the article dealing with Steam VS
Diesel there is a picture (P.4)of a passenger train being pulled by a
J.  It looks to me that there is an aux water tender behind the J's
tender.  Is it really an aux tender or our my eyes needing another
visit to the eye doctor.?  If it really is an aux tender this is the
first picture that I've seen of the combination other than the modern
day steam excursions with the aux tender painted in maroon and black.
I thought that the J's did not have the aux tender in passenger
service back in the 40's and 50's.  If it isn't an aux tender behind
the J does any one know what kind of equipment it is?

I'm a fairly new N&W fan so I have much to learn.

Dave Moorehead
Milford, OH