N&W Amtrak service

Fri Sep 24 11:59:43 EDT 2004

I beg to differ with Mr. Morrison on N&W Amtrak service.

Amtrak service started in the spring of 1975 as trains nos. 54-55 "the
Mountaineer", running as a connection with trains nos.50-51 "the Jame W.
Riley" (later known as the Cardinal) from Catlettsburg, KY to Norfolk, VA.
This train lasted for approximately 18 months until it was annuled by the
great Chicago freeze in the winter of 1976-77 (that winter took many older
steam heated cars out of service). It was then replaced by "the Hilltopper"
that ran from Catlettsburg, KY to Washington, DC until the fall of 1979.

Allen Evans