NW-Mailing-List Digest, Vol 6, Issue 18

Thu Sep 16 09:28:23 EDT 2004

You are spot on Jerry.  I too rode behind 611 and 1218 in the late '80s and
treasure the memories.  When I was a young 2LT at Ft. Eustis in 1969-1970 we
used to run our 2-8-0 steam engines around the post for training (not to
mention they were a lot of fun).  On Wednesdays we ran the "Kiddie Specials"
and some lucky classes of elementary school kids got an afternoon off riding
a train and the troops got to meet the teachers (mostly young Virginia women
just out of college).

I can hardly imagine the outcry now if something were to have ever happened
on one of these trips.  We live in such a time, it seems.

Thanks for a welcome note of reality!

Ed Svitil