Rail Oiler

Fri Aug 27 20:51:42 EDT 2004

I goofed ... For the number of degrees of curvature  between rail greasers I
should have said 720 degrees ,,, 2 full circles if all  the curves were
sectioned together. Sorry bout the lapse ... Bob  Loehne

A retired track boss (not sure of his title but he  was #1 between Bluefield
and Williamson in the early 80s) once told me that  the N&W installed rail
greasers every 360 degrees of curvature. Of course,  the Pokie along that stretch
is much more curvy than, say, N&W rails in  eastern Virginia, and I don't
know if straighter track requires fewer or more  rail greasers per degree of
curve. I'd guess more.

Bob Loehne

Dave,
Actually, rail oilers are very common, and are still in use  today.  There is
one about a mile west of my house to lubricate a very  curved section of the
Bristol line.  (And I think it isn't working,  because the cars squeal
terribly lately!)  Point being, these are used  to lubricate the flanges on the car
wheels which lubricate the  inside of the rail head to prevent friction on the
inside of the rail  surface in curves.  If you hear a loud squeal, then you
are wearing out  rails and wheels.  Its not done so much to keep them quiet, but
to make  the rail last longer.

Hope this helps,
Ben Blevins

As  I was perusing my recently purchased copy of the NWHS "N&W  Signal
Diagrams" book I found something I had never seen or even been  aware of.
It is found on pages 59 and following in the a fore  mentioned book. It
is a "rail oiler". Can any one on the list fill me  in on why they were
used and where. It's obvious that it was to put oil  on the railhead.
I've always thought that oil and rails don't mix and  make for a very
slippery time.

Thanks ahead of time for any and  all info.

Dave Moorehead
Milford,  OH