Rail Oiler

Fri Aug 27 13:42:20 EDT 2004

Jimmy, you refered to greasers as the "perfect world" of the MofW dept, That is anything but true, it only makes Atlanta happy with less railwear, from my stand point on the MofW they are a pain in the keaster, I had to roll around in ten of them on the Bristol line removing the pumps and apparatus from in front of a tie gang, completely ruined several sets of uniforms, when working on gangs. The formula of 25 machines + 25mph + railgreaser = riding by the seat of your pants, I've seen several machines slide into each other due to grease, and I slid a half mile down grade at Dublin with a dual propane tanked railheater, I hate them.

Ben, call the office at Marion and request that they turn up the grease out put on the greaser in Jesses Cut.It's about time for them to swap from their summer formula to their winter formula.

Gary Price

Rail Greasers...the bane of every locomotive engineer.

       A good idea that still leaves a lot to be desired. In the perfect world of the MofW Dept., the grease is supposed to lubricate the flange of the wheels on curves. The trouble is that most of the time it migrates to the top of the rail making traction difficult.
       This is particularly true in spells of wet weather. I have seen grease travel from the greaser for almost a mile during a week of rain. It was so bad that once I even slid all the way across Natural Bridge. Another time, the pusher units lost all power going up Appo. I can't begin to describe the calamity that was. How that train stayed in one piece I'll never know.

Gary Price at gpprice_nsc at yahoo.com