Rail Oiler

Wed Aug 25 03:31:18 EDT 2004

In a message dated 8/24/2004 10:50:09 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org writes:

As I was  perusing my recently purchased copy of the NWHS "N&W Signal
Diagrams"  book I found something I had never seen or even been aware of.
It is found  on pages 59 and following in the a fore mentioned book.  It
is a "rail  oiler".  Can any one on the list fill me in on why they were
used and  where.  It's obvious that it was to put oil on the railhead.
I've  always thought that oil and rails don't mix and make for a very
slippery  time.

Thanks ahead of time for any and all info.

Dave  Moorehead
Milford, OH

Hi Dave,
A rail oiler is used preceeding a curve. It applies a coating  of oil on the
flange of each passing wheel to reduce both wheel and rail wear.  You can see
the evidence of a rail oiler in any picture as a black streak on  the ballast
right along the rail head. Mind you they did not pump gallons  of oil so that
it caused adhesion problems. Just enough to keep wear down.
Ray Russell
NMRA-40609
"Norfolk & Western Railroad"   "Pocahontas Division"  "Circa 1958"
Visit The "NEW" Pocahontas  Website at:
_http://www.nandw-pocahontas-division.net/_ (http://members.aol.com/rruss45826/public_html/index.html)