J Builders plate on ebay

Wed Aug 18 10:15:06 EDT 2004

Dick;

The number 390 is Roanoke's Builders number, it does not have anything to do with the assigned road number per say. Each locomotive has its own builder's number and road number, which are separate from each other, for example, N&W #613 (rd #) has a builders number of 390, #611 is #388. The builders plate was attached to the outside of the shrouding on the J's.

Locomotives still are assigned a builders number to this day, now by GE or EMD, which signifies various things to them.

Hope this helps,

Russ Goodwin