Pole line removal on the Bristol Line

Tue Jul 27 12:19:47 EDT 2004

Hello again all,
Yesterday I spoke directly with the contractor dismantling the pole line.  They are from Illinois, and regularly do fiber optic cable.  The man was very friendly and spoke with me for a few minutes.  He told me that the poles are selling very good, but the copper clad wire is only bringing a couple cents a pound.  He's selling the cross arms for a dollar each, and folks are using them for landscaping and such.  The insulator collecting was unsuccessful, as folks were stealing them as soon as the poles were cut down.  They seem to think they are of some value.

The poles with transformers are still standing, and I asked him why he had left them.  He said the transformers contain a cancer causing agent and it will spill out if the case is ruptured.  So, they have to obtain a permit to take them down, and contain the chemical if any of it spills.

These folks are real nice, and unlike the man I spoke to a few weeks ago, the contractor himself was very friendly.

As for the pole line, they are still working in Marion and the surrounding area.

Ben Blevins