Lambert's Point Turntable

Thu Jul 22 10:19:29 EDT 2004

Thanks Jerry, that is the kind of information I'm looking for.  I will
now call that turntable a "Plate-Girder".  Yesterday, I spent some time
on the Internet looking for "Railroad Turntable", and though there were
lots of pictures and small model kits listed, I could not find any site
that showed the types, parts, and construction of turntables.  I even
tried putting in "American Bridge & Iron Co." and "Chicago Bridge and
Iron Co." and got nothing on their turntables.

In the 1970's I did some research on steam locos at the Carerar
Technical Library when it was at IIT.  I copied lots of information from
old magazines like "Railway Mechanical Engineer", but at the time was
not interested in turntables.  Carerar is now at the U of Chicago,  I
should probably take a ride down there (~50miles) to see what I can find.

Ron Peisker
Barrington, Illinois