markers on N&W CF class wood cabin cars

Mon Jul 19 23:06:19 EDT 2004

Hi all,

One more question while I'm thinking on it.  The A&Y bought two N&W CF
class cabs and relettered them.

I'm building a couple of the AMB kits and I wanted to add marker lights.  I
saw in the N&W handbook that one caboose model has the marker lights on the
walls of the cab where they would be on other cabs.  But there's a notch in
the roof ends that seems like the right place for the marker (why else
would there be a notch?).

Can anyone tell me what the standard practice was for placing marker lights
on these cabs?  I would assume that the A&Y men, being employed by a short
line almost always in receivership, would have used the existing brackets
and wouldn't have bothered to change them.

I have Tomar Industry marker lights and I'm going to have to run the wires
to which ever location, so I want to get it right the first time!  I may
have to notch the underside of the roof on the overhang to get a light at
the notch on the roof.  So PLEASE let me know before I install them where
would be the most likely spot for them based on N&W practices.

Thanks,

Dave
David Bott			david.m.bott at dartmouth.edu