Lambert's Point Turntable

Tue Jul 20 10:31:29 EDT 2004

Thanks to all for their help.  I want to model the last version of that
turntable, which was of the THRU-TRUSS type.  Yesterday, I did what one
of you suggested and tried to scale the photos I have.  The problem is
that all of my photos are angled in such a way that it is difficult to
determine dimensions.   I estimated that the main truss has a height at
the center of 8 feet (4 feet above and 4 feet below the rail bottom.)
If I could get that dimension and how far the truss goes down into the
pit on each end, it would make for a better construction drawing.  I
assume that the last turntable (1913) mentioned by Gordon Hamilton as
being 100' long is what I want for length.

Is that turntable still in existence, wow, I am amazed!   I was
stationed from 1956 to 1959 at the Mine Warfare School, when it was at
Yorktown.  I spent many, many enjoyable weekends with my Nikon S1 and
Bolex following the N&W.

Ron Peisker