4-8-0 M-2 class

Sun Jul 11 22:33:38 EDT 2004

> Hi,
>  I have a question about the cylinders on some 4-8-0 M-2 class locos, the
> 1150-1160 numbers. On the cylinders of some, there is a protrusion off the
> side of the middle of the cylinder, with square ends. This is on at least #'s
> 1153, 1148, 1119 and 1112 that I know of. Is this a 'street stoker'? If so, or
> not, what is that? Also, I would like to see if I can model that on a brass
> 4-8-0 I am getting, any body done this conversion?
> Thanks to all in advance.
> Tony Burgess

Sorry Tony,
They are pressure relief valves.  A Street Stoker was used to put coal into
the firebox.  The M2¹s were a class that got LOTS of variations as they
tried different things from polished ports in the cylinders, valve gear
variances, Feedwater heaters, and several types of cylinders.  The were big
machines, the LARGEST 4-8-0¹s built.

Mark Lindsey