Harry Bundy...

Wed Jul 7 11:48:26 EDT 2004

nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org writes:
One account that sticks in my mind was what he wrote about
the many delays getting over the road in those days that often resulted in
long, long hours shoveling coal as a fireman, before the Federal Hours of
Service Law, of course.  He wrote something to the effect that at times he
was so fatigued that he would drift off to sleep standing up on the bouncing
engine deck!
I remember Grandad telling me that he thought farming was hard work until he
went to firing on the Virginian, and that I would never know what hard work
was until I had hand-fired a steam locomotive for hours on end. Grandma would
tell me how when Grandad first went to firing, he would sometimes come home so
exhausted, that he would flop down on the bed and pass out without even
bothering to take off his greasy, sooty overalls or clean up.

Greg Harrod