help identify some N&W freight cars from 1934

Tue Jul 6 22:47:47 EDT 2004

Hi listers,

I'm trying to develop a picture of 1934 on the Southern Railway's
Winston-Salem division for a couple of reasons.  1) I have a set of
conductor's logs that cover all trains on the W-S division for 1934  2) the
W-S division interchanges with the Atlantic & Yadkin Railway in 1934 and
that's the A&Y is the short line I model and 3) it's a neat historical
exercise to understand what's happening on a railroad division in a given
period so I may end up writing an article about it when I'm done.

One of the things I'm trying to do is to figure out the types of freight
cars that were identified in the log books.  A good chunk of non-Southern
cars are N&W which is not surprising.

Would you help me out with some N&W hopper and boxcar identification?

Specifically, the hoppers I've got so far are:
71450, 21944, 9837, and 84035.

A boxcar is #67495.

I've ordered an ORER from 1935 on CDROM from Westerfield so I can get a
better idea about these era cars, but I'm anxious to learn more.  Any help
would be appreciated.  BTW, the hoppers were all empties waybilled back to
the N&W at Winston-Salem (milepost K-29 for those of you who might know the
Southern's K line from Greensboro to Rural Hall).

Dave
David Bott			david.m.bott at dartmouth.edu