4 Boxcars at Fort Norfolk

Mon Jul 5 12:43:01 EDT 2004

The four 1962/63 steel boxcars abandoned on the Dixie Mfg. Co. spur outside Norfolk's historic Fort Norfolk are now being scrapped in place.

Two cars have already been mostly ripped up and the other two damaged. All of the roller-bearing wheelsets are still in place on the short stretch of track.

Fort Norfolk is at the end of Colley Ave. on Front Street.

Tomorrow (Tuesday, 6 July) ,I plan to ask the demolition crew site foreman if I can have a couple of the wheelsets if I haul them off.

Will let you know what he says after he stops laughing at me.

Regards to all,

Albert Burckard, 12303 Titus Point, Carrollton, VA. 23314  757-357-6685