Newport News Shipbuilding Built Equipment- ramblings

Thu Jun 24 01:47:21 EDT 2004

 I do remember seeing photos of fab shops with steam locomotives
> in them. If I should find it, I'll scan and post somewhere. Amongst their
> odd lot of 'in yard' equipment were 2 and 4 axle locomotives including
> several of the side rod type, tank cars, boxes, gons and plenty of flats.

Charlie, I'd love to see any photos you may have! I believe we met a couple
of years ago in Roanoke, at the archives building. I was resaerching some
A&D stuff at the time.
As for the side rod units, we are down to the 3 50T GEs. The Whitcombs were
sold to Peck (now Sims Metals) and United Winner Metals.

> As far as I know, they only had one car for interchange. It was a Yard
> (home) made well hole car with adjustable width sides that is still in use
> today. It had 3 axle Buckeyes on it too!

Built in Nov. 1961, and rides on C&O Buckeyes. Still in the yard, but has'nt
been out for some time, possibly since the early 1980s.

> They had several rr cranes of the 75 T range. One was still in steam when
> left there.

Would love to see anything on these as well! Did you list any of the
Brownhoist cranes? The last 3 Brownhoist cranes were sold last Spring to an
unknown buyer.

I have had someone send info that NNS&DDCo built some GU gons for N&W, some
HPa hoppers, and some caboose frames for the VGN. I need info on all of
these cars.

I'm at NFDRwy at cox.net .

Thanks!

Russell Underwood