[N&W] ARROW #3

Fri Jun 4 22:12:22 EDT 2004

Group:
Once again Mr. Wilson and Mandelkern have come trough with the outstanding
second part of their Clinch Valley series. I feel like I know a lot more
about it.
A question about Swords Creek: The entrance to the quarry mentioned in the
article is a bridge if you took note. The bridge, as I was to by the Dillon
folks, is a former turntable. Does any one know its original location?

Thanks to the other authors too. Mr. Hamilton's boiler construction
information is great. I want to mention the radial drills shown in one of
the photos. Notice the workers are 'gang drilling' about 6 sheets (plates)
that cut the drilling time of thousands of holes to hundreds. If the sheets
were made today, it would be on a CNC punch, one at a time, second choice
being a laser. The rolling mill photo was intriguing too. My guess is the
lead operator had some experience in rolling these sheets and probably
learned from a skilled operator. Seems the staybolt hole alignment between
outer/ inner sheets wouldn't allow for too much error.

Charlie Long
Lynchburg