[N&W] RE: A Visit to the Virginian

Mon May 31 10:30:22 EDT 2004

  Please excuse me for running a little late on this reply.
  In regards to C. Wilson,no it's not the Bluestone Branch we were
wondering about. There is a
  branch we passed on the East side of Clark's Gap. This Branch may be the
Bluestone. The tracks
  were overgrown and it ran through some people's yards,crossties and rails
still intact. There were
  places where you could tell there was a mine tipple because a siding
and/or passing track
  switched off from it. Very interesting piece of history.
  The branch Bill was talking about is the one that switches off from the
line at Pierpont just
  above Mullens. The switch looks to be intact and the signals are working
at the crossover. There
  is a minor rockslide blocking the rails about 100 yards above the switch
but the roadbed and
  rails look to be in pretty fair condition. By the map,this is the branch
that goes to Milam and
Glen Rodgers up through Polk's Gap. We only observed it as far as where the
trestle carries
  it over Rt 97 just SE of Twin Falls Resort. Again the roadbed and rails
seem to be decent
  condition. We hope to follow it as best we can on our next road trip.
  Also it seems that the mine branch at Slab Fork was left intact when the
mine closed down.
  The switch was cut out of the main line but the rails for the mine are
still there. They only
  go as far as the little bridge over the hollow by the old supply house.
 From there they are
  pulled up though parts of the switch at the end of the bridge are still
there.
  Had a very nice trip,we will do it again.
  Oh,the "paint date" on the highway bridge at Deepwater is 8/52. Not a bad
paint job for
  being 52 years old!!

John Zuro

Subject: RE: A Visit to the Virginian
Date: Sun, 02 May 2004 16:28:08 -0400

My gut feeling is that, from a legal standpoint, it would be easier to
reopen a line with existing rails than lay new rails.  Grade crossings come
to mind;  I'm sure it's a real pain to get a permit etc. to cross a
highway.  Having existing rails would grandfather the crossing if it were
to be reactivated.
Many of these branches may see service in the future.  Mines usually do not
run out of coal; the coal that is left is simply too far from the mine to
be economically recoverable.  In the future, new processes may allow that
coal to be recovered with a profit.  Maybe the railroad is willing to take
that risk.
Anyone with real knowledge of these things is welcome to correct me.
David Estep
Manassas, VA
(transplanted West Virginian)

PS.  I always go see the VIRGINIAN markings on Deepwater Bridge when I'm in
the area.
Bill--

Not that it matters all that much, but are you sure those remaining mine
branches aren't on the old Bluestone Branch of the N&W?

C. Wilson
I don't know about West Virginia, but the long-abandoned branch off the NS
(old N&W) mainline in Pulaski back to the Pulaski Furniture factory still
has rails on it, they just paved over them where they cross the road. There
are trees growing between the rails, but the rails are still there as is the
old steel bridge over Peak's Creek.
I should add that we stopped in Mullens and I saw the restored C-10 caboose
live for the first time -- made me proud to have provided a little help
with it.

Bill Mosteller
Falls Church, VA
I believe they disconnect the rails from the main line in order to keep
from having to pay taxes on them in WV, as well as here in VA.  I do
wish it was the other way around.  I think unused rail should be
removed.  To use a metaphor, when a branch on one of my trees dies, I
cut it off instead of leaving it hanging there dead.  I wish railroads
would do the same with dead spurs and branches.
Ben Blevins
This raises a big question that has intrigued me, after I drove 1500 miles
in West Virginia, Kentucky and southwestern Virginia earlier this year,
visiting a lot of  hollows.
I can share my observations with interested persons.

It appears that NS and CSX have evolved their general policies on this, the
CSX being much more apt for some time to pick up rails, avoid the taxes and
also avoid pressures by the communities to cede the lines for tourist or
other local purposes.   I am surprised by the quickness of this action in at
least one case.   Only now do we see NS suddenly wanting to pick up
rails of a whole group of long dormant branches.

On the other hand, we find numerous cases of service being abandoned, only
to resume some years later, given that coal is an economically very unstable
product in the market.

Rather than apply a generalized formula for determining if a branch should
stay put, it seems that what prevails is a general corporate attitude which
can change from time to time.

Warren Crowther
warren at crowther.com

Sent: Monday, April 26, 2004 9:10 PM