[N&W] Re: Industries by Division

Mon May 31 15:18:56 EDT 2004

I have a booklet that was published by the N&W in the 50's with the
industries that were served along the mainline out of Roanoke,I think, it
was given to me by a friend many years ago. I'll see if I can locate it
this weekend and give you more info.

Kurt S. Kramke MMR
Jim

Several months ago the C&O Historical Society put out a reprint of the 1950
Industrial Guide for the C&O which lists all cities and towns served by the
C&O at that time. Localities are listed alphabetically and lists facilities
such as stock chutes, team tracks, auto unloading and loading ramps, etc.
All businesses and their products are included and whether they had a
private siding or used the team track or yard track. Very interesting reading!
Perhaps this can serve as a guide for an N&W industrial directory.

Jim Kehn
<< First, if anyone has a Shippers Directory or any other N&W related document
that would provide this information, please raise your hand! This would
certainly make things easier all around. >>

I have at least two, both dating to about 1907 and 1910. I cannot recall
having seen anything regarding all shippers (as opposed to mines) that dates
later.

These are not as specific as one would like, though, they are made for
selling the railroads services and territory, not how to find a specific
industry. Both are hardcover, one is fairly thick (1/2 inch or so) with loads
of ads for industries, the other is much thinner with no ads.

Ken Miller
Other ideas?  Well that depends...

I was able to buy an N&W Stations and Sidings list for Dec 1, 1964 published
by Office of Superintendent Car Service, Roanoke.  It lists Station No. or
siding, Name of Station or Siding and miles from Junction.  As an example:

Main Line (basically Welch to Davy in McDowell County) (Pocahontas Division)
Station No or                Name of Station                        Miles
from
Siding                                 of siding
Norfolk

10388c                        Slick Rick Siding
388.01    (Slick Rock is a former coal mine)
10389                           Caples, WV
389.20
10389a                         New Riv Poca Con No. 11        389.36   (over
the years this mine had four different names/owners)
10389b                        Farm passing siding                    389.45
10391                          Royalty Smokelss Coal Co          390.79
10391a                        Mohegan, WV                            390.84
(over the years the town changed names 3 times and actually had 5 mines)
10392                          Old Pando Storage Siding           391.87
(Pando started out as Short creek coal co and the town was Lawrence, then
Pando, then
Juverna, and then locally called Marine after the fourth coal co.)
10393                            Davy, WV
393.16            (Davy had 5 coal mines at one time)
10393a                        Superior Branch

There are about 2400 listings overall and McDowell County has about 400
named mines. The high number comes from the transfer of ownership, but there
are probably at least 150 mines that were served by the N&W.  Many of that
150 changed ownership multiple times.  Others only had one owner from
inception to depletion.

Basically you are not taking on as simple task, but if there is no other
information try the Stations and Sidings lists.

Alex Schust
Jim

The closest publication I can find is the List of Stations and Sidings.
I have two different versions Dec 1, 1959 issued by the Superintendent Car
Service. The second is Apr, 1 1972 issued by the Accounting Dept.

The limitation is that if city siding served several industries only the
siding name is listed. If the siding is unique to a single customer it's
here. i.e. Brewer & Brewer Sons Siding MP 608.81 (just south of Lunbeck,
Ohio). It was apparently pulled up before 1972.
Coal mines get special treatment, surprise.

The later book has some additional interesting lists. Scales, Icing
Stations, Stock Pens are listed. The book says there was still a working
stock pen at White Post, Va. in 1972.

I hope this helps.

Rick Stone
Archives has, in addition to the VGN AFE's, siding lease agreements
for the Norfolk and Shenandoah Divisions. Also has various editions
of N&W's Coal & Coke Manual. This identifies mines on the Pocahontas,
Scioto, Pittsburgh and Moberly divisions. Mines are identified by numbers
shown on maps (for each of the 12 coal districts). From the mine number,
the mine name, operator, coal sales agent, billing station, and mine
mailing address can be determined.

Harry Bundy

Sent: Thursday, November 14, 2002 10:43 PM
Subject: Re: Industries by Division