[N&W] RE: Industries by Division

Mon May 31 15:18:30 EDT 2004

Hi All,

I agree that a list of all customers that the N&W served would be a great
help for us modelers. Could we include current NS customers also? I think
that track charts would be a good place to start for this kind of
information. I have in my collection a little book that the N&W put out in
the 1950's that describes each line and what products that were shipped from
the different towns. An updated version with a listing customers, trackage,
freight car types and how many car spots. I know that this would be a huge
undertaking for a project- but I think it could be done. Anybody good
friends with a CYO clerk in Atlanta?

Take care, John Hecker
N&W R line MP72
The industries on a District or a Division can be found on a number of
documents held by the Right of Way Department.  Each siding or spur that
required N&W money or some type of business arrangement or business
contract had a file built that tells about the spur, the cost of
installation and something about the business arrangement regarding the
return on car loadings.  Initially these files were started by the sales
section of the Real Estate Division as they sought out customers for the
developing railroad and the lands they controlled.  The RoW Departement was
in charge of installing the track or at least the switch and the short
section of track that was on railroad property.   There is a survey drawing
and a plan as to when the work would be done. This was done by AFE.

Having done this they created a small file for this length of track.

This information would then be added to the Valuation Maps created
periodically that described in some detail everything along the company
property.  These valuation maps were drawn on D size paper and covered
roughly 3 miles of track.  For a record, a large number of these sheets
would be run, one after another, through the blueprint machines to create
giant roll drawings covering about 1/3 to 1/2 the length of a district (
about 30-40 feet of roll drawing).  The valuation drawing would be updated
by change notice/revisions as property was sold off or spurs or sidings
were closed by AFE or abandonment proceedings.  This was all necessary for
tax and insurance reasons as well as operating reasons.

Also, and simultaneously the Real Estate group would monitor the local
property values to update the assessed value of the land (and dispute or
agree with the local tax officials as to value).

They also created a series of 3 ring binders that was a compact reference
to each siding and the business deal that was made for it.

With all of these documents for a District , one can find the origins and
end date of every siding or spur that was attached to the N&W.

These documents do not generally have any car loading information.  That
came out of the car reports or other Transportation Departemtn Documents.

Also, the RoW engineering group would draw up a 400 to 1 roll drawing of
each terminal area such as the ones sold by the Commissary for Columbus,
Ohio, Roanoke and Bluefield.  These show all of the local tracks and
frequently those of other railroads in that area.

The majority of these drawing were made in the teen's, twenties and
thirties.  But, they are still used by NS.

My point of this description is to say that gaining access to these
documents is probably a better way to use one's time rather than recreating
everything from scratch as the railroad documents are very comprehensive
and certainly definitive.

Network, network, network boys.  And get it for the archives.

Gary Rolih, Sec/Treas
For the VGN fans, the AFE list on the Resources CD would be a very good start.

Tom Salmon