[N&W] Re: Pennsy on the N&W

Mon May 31 15:16:05 EDT 2004

 From what I have read, the PRR T-1 was not a good performer.  Consider
how quickly they were scrapped.  They were slippery, in part because of
large driver diameter and independent driver sets.  One suggestion at the
time they were designed was to use different driver diameters for the two
sets.  Some comments say they performed best on level, tangent track, at
high speeds (lower steam consumption than acceleration, so less tendency to
slip).

PRR had two demos built, then went too quickly with 50 more while the demos
had not yet been debugged.

Personally, I love the sight of a T-1 leading the way; but the duplex idea
was not really a success.

Jerry Crosson