[N&W] Re: O Winston Link Tour

Mon May 31 15:14:00 EDT 2004

Don't forget Stanley, Virginia.  I made a "excellent" video of NS 340 north
screaming through town one morning around 8:00 a.m. somewhere very, very
close to where O. Winston Link made his famous south bound night shot.

Gene [Schaeffer]
 >The picture in Welch is the A with Welch Linkous Park pool in the
 >forground.  Everything is still there accept the A.
 >Bob [Riffe]

Take your magnifying glass to the boys on the other side of the pool.
Specifically, to their hands.

Ed King
 >>> 3) The gas pump photo.  [snip]
 >> - Vesuvius is about 65 miles north of Lexington on US 11, the one mile east
 >> on VA 56.  There's not much to see there

 >65 miles will put you way too far north. More like 15 to 20 miles.

Oops.  Don't you just hate it when those typo's creep in?  Vesuvius is
definitely only 15 miles north of Lexington.  I reread that message several
times before I sent it and I missed that each time.

Now concerning the Class A picture at the drive-in theater -- that was NOT
taken at Welch.  It was taken at Iaeger.  Link even titled the picture "Hot
Shot Eastbound, Iaeger, West Virginia" (Ghost Trains, 1983, O. Winston Link).
  The theater is gone now. Too bad.  I would have liked to have watched movies
there.

Yes, there was a picture of a Class A taken at the Welch Pool, too.  But that
wasn't the original question.  It just crept in there when someone else
confused the picture at the pool with the picture at the drive-in.  But the
good news is, that since Welch is only 15 - 20 miles east of Iaeger (no typo
here) you can do both.

Now my personal favorite train watching spots are at 1) Elkhorn, WV, and 2)
behind the Big K Mart in Kimball.  You can't miss the Big K Mart, but Elkhorn
is a little trickier.  You've got to turn off of US 52 to get to Elkhorn, but
it has excellent parking, a caboose on display, and nice scenery.

Jerry Kay, Portsmouth, Virginia