[N&W] Re: N&W Signals - More

Mon May 31 15:09:30 EDT 2004

Mr. Burnett

The answers to your questions are:

 > 1.  When and where was the first application of PL signals on the N&W?

1. Hagerstown District - November 10, 1924

 > 2.  When was the use of  >>three<<  arm PL signals discontinued?

2. I haven't been able to find the exact date but they were gone in the
next revision of the rule book. November 18, 1951

 > 3.  When were the last of the semaphores phased out for automatic block and
 > interlocking use?

3. The only semaphones in the '51 rule book are for train order
signals.  After the 1964 merger they had to be added back in apparently
the NKP and the Wabash still had some.

 > 4.  Someone needs to research back issues of "Railway Signal Engineer"
 > 1930s-1950s for specific developmental information.

4. N&WHS Newsletter Vol. 1 Num. 5 has an article about the first
installation of CTC and Position Light Signals.

Stony
[Rick Stone]