[N&W] Re: Jawn Henry

Mon May 31 14:56:43 EDT 2004

There have been differing suggestions posted about the proper wheel
arrangement designation for N&W
steam-turbine-electric locomotive 2300 (Jawn Henry), so I want to add my two
cents (I apologize for my delay on this, but I have been out of town for
eleven days in the past two or three weeks).  The most authoritative source
on locomotive wheel arrangement designations that I have available is the
1956 (15th Edition) Locomotive Cyclopedia, and the following  information
has been extracted from it.

It might be helpful to start with conventional steam locomotives.  Page 519
of the Cyclopedia explains the scheme of the   familiar Wythe system for
designating steam locomotive wheel arrangements, such as 2-6-6-4 for an N&W
Class A.  But, anyone interested in steam locomotives should be aware that
the Cyclopedia lists five other differing systems that have been used at one
time or the other because these other systems may be encountered somewhere.
For example, the book, The Steam Locomotive in America by Alfred W. Bruce
(W.W.Norton & Co., 1952) uses the American Locomotive system
because Bruce was an engineering official with that company.  That company's
systems was like the Wythe expect it omitted the minus signs and added the
letters C for a compound, a S for superheated and T for tank engine, as well
as figures to denote the weight to the nearest 1k lb.  So, a N&W Class A
would have been a 2664 S 573 to the American Locomotive Company.  In
addition to the Wythe and American Locomotive systems, the Cyclopedia lists
other systems used by the
Lima Locomotive Works, the Baldwin Locomotive Works, as well as the French
System, and the German or Continental System.

Now about the 2300.  Pages 40 and 41 of the Cyclopedia give the AAR standard
system of nomenclature for axle and truck arrangements of locomotives having
electric transmissions, which includes the 2300.  The AAR standard system
(Manual F-103) was adopted in 1932 and revised in 1949.  As is commonly
known, letters are used to represent the number of powered axles in a truck,
i. e., a C would represent one three-axle truck with all axles powered, or
four C's would represent the
four three-axle trucks under the 2300 using the AAR system.  Less commonly
known is the proper use of minus and plus signs in combination with the
letters.  The AAR standard states, in part,  that + signs are used to
indicate articulated joints between trucks under a single locomotive and
minus signs are used to indicate separation between swivel type trucks, not
articulated.  Because neither the swivel trucks nor the span bolsters under
the 2300 were articulated, I believe the designation for the 2300 under the
AAR system would be C-C-C-C.  On Page 444 of the Cyclopedia, however, the
2300 is pictured, and the wheel arrangement is given as 6-6-6-6.  Louie
Newton, who is about to go to press with his book on the 2300, confirms that
this latter designation is the one commonly used rather than the AAR system.
But, if the AAR system is cited, it is important to use the plus and minus
signs correctly.

For a final example of the AAR system, consider the Virginian EL-2B electric
locomotive, each unit of which had four two-axle non-articulated trucks and
two span bolsters which WERE articulated.  A General Electric brochure
(Ry-24241-A, 8-47) on the EL-2B clearly shows the articulation between the
span bolsters and designates the wheel arrangement of each unit as B-B+B-B,
the plus sign indicating the articulated joint between the span bolsters.

Gordon Hamilton

Sent: Sunday, April 07, 2002 8:29 PM
Subject: Re: Jawn Henry