[N&W] Re: Signals

Mon May 31 14:44:39 EDT 2004

In a message dated 4/14/2002 10:18:29 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
mailing-list at nwhs.org writes:

>"In  my humble opinion, N&W's signal people
>were country boys..."

Hey Spike,
       Me thinks you are forgetting where you came from!

"The fact that N&W used, on its dwarfs, rows of lights in both the "/"
and the "\" directions to indicate "Restricting"
       The "/" means 'Slow Approach'
       The"\" means 'Restricting

'What is amazing is that "parent" PRR '
       I'm not so sure that I buy into this "parent" crap. Sure PRR might
have owned some stock, but if you look at the motive power, I'm sure glad
N&W had someone on board that could design some good looking engines.

"PRR had a really good system of aspect logic worked out for the PL
signals"
       Being unfamiliar with PRR signals, I would have to say this
statement is debatable. If anyone would have had some good sense, they
would have gone to the color-position signals long before it actually
happened. Case in point, you have just passed an approach signal, you now
have to prepare to stop at the next signal, as you round a curve looking
for the next signal all you see is a yellow blur. Is it stop? Is it clear?
Fog has settled in the low lying area and obstucted your view!
       How many years did it take all of those 'Einsteins" in the signal
departments to figure this one out?
       If I am not mistaken, the wreck of #95 and #2 at Cloverdale, Va. was
in part attributed to the signals having all yellow lights. Think about it!
If you rotated the signal 90 degrees, a stop turns to a clear. Too much
room for error.

Jimmy Lisle