[N&W] Re: Question about coal tipple chutes

Mon May 31 14:29:38 EDT 2004

Ed King sent me a note regarding my reply to the question about coal tipple
chutes ...

 >I don't think Leslie's talking about today's flood-loading dealies.  I think
 >he's talking about those old things when mines used to be served by steam
 >locomotives, etc . . .

Hummm ... I figured he was talking about middle age coal stuff ... like
loadouts built in the 50s and 60s and 70s. A bad presumption on my part,
perhaps. I'd have to say I don't know a lot about steam era tipples ...
hardly alive then and have not studied much coal before the 50s.

BTW ... I was reminded that on some chutes the loadout operator can raise
and lower the level from which the chute dumps ... meaning that the
operator could leave the chute too low allowing it to bang the end of the
hopper car.

I guess we just have to ask Leslie what era he has in mind.

Hey ... Do we suspect that everyone who models the N&W (especially coal) is
modeling the steam era?

I'll forward this note over to the list and we'll find out his era.

Thanks for your comments ... Bob Loehne