[N&W] Re: Armstrong Turntable at East Lynn

Tue May 25 17:02:26 EDT 2004

  I don't know exactly when we stopped using it but I think I know why. when
they got the S1's at Kenova  they were used on the East Lynn job and I
remember that the engine was backing up leaving Kenova . The S1 was probable
too long for the table ,this was probably in thr early 50's. At that time the
branch ended at a coal operation "Fry Brothers" and the table was close by.

                                              R F Smith
_______________________________________
Unless the bus is a full sized ("Greyhound"), it should be able to navigate
the road.  A large bus may have problems with the north end of Fry Road.
The turntable is visible from Rt 37, but the best vantage point is from Fry
Road.  Also, some of the side tracks around the old turntable are still in
place, they just took the switches out when they rebuilt the line to ribbon
rail.  The old tipple ruins, used as late as the 70s before the track was
extended into the mine complex, would have been an interesting side-trip,
but the area is now being used as a car junk yard.  Before the junk cars,
the area still had the tracks and switches around the tipple.  I do not have
an answer for Steve's question.  I can not remember the turntable in use,
born in 65, but have always found the pit interesting and amazed that no one
has ever filled it up to build something.

Howard Adkins
hadkins at attglobal.net