[N&W] Re: Class Lamps

Wed May 12 23:01:37 EDT 2004

I have locomotive classification lights from a class J and a class K2a, and
each seems to be made of aluminum. The different color aspects were made by
colored bulbs inside.  I also have the lights from 2200 and several other
Y's and an A. They are all painted black and they had a clear bulb inside,
with a colored lens being available for rotation within the actual light
itself to change the outward appearing color. Not having been around N&W
steam until the early 50's, I've never seen a locomotive classification
light painted anything but black. Caboose marker lights are a different
matter. I have a few and some were yellow and some were a dull black or oil
stained, unpainted appreance! I welcome visitors to examine them.
Aubrey Wiley
VgnRy43 at lynchburg.net
_______________________________
<< Recognize that the stamped Armspear had mounts for four lenses however it
was used; the Pyle National had two lenses with an internal flip-down green
lens for each of the clear lenses.  I was told, but cannot verify, that the
Armspears carried two clears and two greens adjacent to each other.  The
train men would have to go the lamp and rotate it on its mount to present
the proper class lighting when required. >>

The Amrmspear classification lamps that I have have only two clear lens at 90
degrees to each other, with an interior flipper with two flat green lens. The
other two openings have been blanked with special made pieces, whether this
was done in the shops when electrified or they were ordered this way, I
cannot say.  The base does rotate so that a class lamp can be used on either
side of the locomotive as necessary.

<< As antiques, the Armspears and Grays are highly desirable.  They are not
commonly available.  The Grays usually had a brass tag that identified the
railroad owner.  The Armspear lights were not stamped for the N&W. >>

I have an two different Armspear switch lights both have original tags
soldered on with "N&W RY" markings.  These have not been faked, to the best
of my knowledge, as they have been in my possesion for many years.

Ken Miller