[N&W] Re: Norton

Wed May 12 22:54:53 EDT 2004

To David:
 > 1.  How many mine runs were based at Norton during the mid seventies?

....Semi-educated guess:  five or six.  Some of the CV mine runs were based
at Carbo.

 > 2.  Was the coal classified at Norton to be shipped out to other
 >     destinations?

....Somewhat.  I think it was classified by gateway, with more specific
classification with respect to final destination done elsewhere,
particularly Roanoke for tidewater-bound coal.

 > 3.  I am familar with some N&W coal moving ove the L&N to Alabama,
 >      but where did most of the coal go?

......Enslay, Alabama, US Steel

 > 4.  When did the freights stop coming into Norton?

....Do you mean non-coal freight?  I would say most "manifest" business
petered out by the mid to late '70s.  L&N (later, SBD, and then CSX) quit
running into Norton in February 1986, but non-coal freight was pretty thin
by then (just a car or two per train, and everything was an "extra" by
then).  NS is still very active in Norton, with several mine runs based
there, and a number of e.b. coal trains via St. Paul each day (plus w.b.
mtys)

Ron Flanary