[N&W] Re: VGN Passenger cars

Wed May 12 22:48:18 EDT 2004

Virginian did have passenger cars, primarily for the daily accomodation
trains that operated; as well as several observation-type business cars.
The early wooden passenger car fleet consisted of coaches, at least 1
baggage/passenger combination, 4 club cars ("Norfolk", "Victoria",
"Roanoke" & "Princeton"), business cars "Dixie" & "New River",as well as
RPO's & Baggage/Express cars.
In 1920, VGN acquired 10 steel heavyweight coaches (similar to the PRR
P-70-types), numbered 200 - 209. Other steel heavyweight equipment included
business cars Guyandotte River, Winding Gulf, & Fairhaven. These were
painted a shade of pullman coach green with gold lettering. The wooden club
cars were retired in 1937.
The best source & most complete roster of VGN passenger equipment is
contained in "The Virginian Handbook" by Wiley & Wallace. This book also
has some outstanding detail photographs of some of the equipment.
Bill Mosteller has developed an excellent Virginian Passenger decal set
with all known car numbers (it also includes predecessors Tidewater;
Deepwater & branch lines White Oak; & Piney River & Paint Creek).
Bob Moore
I recall seeing a heavyweight coach in Virginian, and possibly in a picture
somewhere.  The color, I THINK (but not sure I recall right) was Pullman
green.  Don't hold me to that color, though.  I know nothing of
lightweights, and kind of doubt they had any.

John McRae