[N&W] RE: N&W Logo at Hotel Roanoke?

Tue May 4 22:36:26 EDT 2004

This regards Raymond Smoot's (VP for Finance and Treasurer at Virignia Tech)
question on whether there was originally an "N&W "logo on the floor of the
rotunda lobby at the Hotel Roanoke.  I talked with a good friend of mine
today who was very familiar with that hotel, and he recalled it very well.
The lobby was large, and this logo crossed the entire floor and was in the
tuscan red color.  There was no background, other than the floor itself.

It was the logo with the N & W in the circle, for lack of a better way to
describe it.  I told him that Mr. Smoot expressed surprise about this, and
we both feel that the logo could have been removed some time before the
hotel closed that last night, and before the university took possession of
it.  Otherwise, we feel, knowing the approach the university would have
taken to preserve this, probably that logo would be there today had the
university known about it.

I hope this helps.

John McRae